I recently got to interview one of my favorite Hollywood makeup artists (and all around makeup geniuses), Bruce Grayson. Bruce is an Olay Makeup artist and also the Primetime Emmy Awards Makeup Head.
We talked about what we can expect to see on the Red Carpet and this year's Primtime Emmy Awards (airing Sunday, Sept. 19th), must-have products to look your best on the red carpet, and how to get glam on a budget and more...read on! - RLB
RLB: What are the top trends we can expect to see on the red carpet this year?
BG: 1. Big bold red lips are in, and we can definitely expect to see them on several leading ladies. Red lips are going to pop up all over the red carpet at this year’s Emmy Awards. They are classic, timeless and make a stunning beauty statement. So many amazing new red lipstick formulas debuted at the fashion shows this year and what’s seen on the fashion runways always makes it way to Hollywood’s red carpet.
2. Second, lush lashes are timeless. Over the course of my career, women have always coveted long, full, lustrous lashes. Remember to use an eyelash curler, which really helps open up your eyes. When applying mascara, wiggle the wand at the roots for more volume and lift. For lasting results, curl your lashes again after applying mascara.
3. A defined brow can take years off your appearance. I like to use a lighter pigmented color to shape brows and a darker color to add definition. Then I finish with a brow gel that keeps hairs in place. Defined and well groomed eyebrows are always important elements with any Emmy make up and this year will be no exception. Beautiful and dramatic brows will always give an actress the ability to work the red carpet paparazzi.
4. Skin is always the focus of many red carpet celebrities. Sheer transparent foundations will be used to create beautiful even tone and fresh looking complexions allowing skin to be seen and do what it does best, naturally glow.
RLB: What are three must-haves for looking gorgeous on the red carpet?
BG: 1. Glowing skin: Actresses have stopped wearing heavy foundations and have really shifted to glowy, sheer makeup. Luminizers and tinted moisturizers are huge on the red carpet. And to prepare skin from days to hours before the red carpet, Olay Regenerist Micro-Sculpting Cream is perfect to hydrate and plump the skin right before applying the makeup.
2. Thick, Noticeable Lashes: From a makeup artist’s standpoint, I can always tell when women are wearing fake lashes. These will be all over the red carpet this year. Lush lashes are a truly feminine, beautiful way to look glamorous. Remember; always curl the lashes, which open the eyes for a brightened look.
3. Simple, elegant makeup: Less is always Best! When doing makeup for a red-carpet event, I think it’s important to focus on eyes, lips, skin or brows. For events such as these, women often have elaborate hair styles and beautiful gowns – makeup should compliment the look, not distract from it.
RLB: How does someone get glam on a budget?
BG: Eyeliner is one of my splurge items and I love Mac and Lancôme, but there are some really great products that you can get at the drugstore! I love Cover girl Lash blast; it’s inexpensive mascara that adds tons of length and volume to lashes. There are quite a few drugstore products that yield the same results as the more expensive department store brands, at half the price! I love the products in the Olay Regenerist line such as Micro-Sculpting Cream and Eye Lifting Serum.
RLB: How do celebrities get their skin looking gorgeous pre-Emmys night?
BG: Celebrities start their preparation for an event such as the Emmys well in advance of Emmys night! They begin prepping their skin weeks or even months in advance, using products that address their specific skin issues such as fine lines, dry skin or discolorations and clearing up the skin with facials or microdermabrasion treatments. They get their hair in shape by making sure to keep bangs trimmed and getting their roots touched up if they color their hair. Additionally, they pick their dress and hairstyles in advance so that their makeup can compliment the look. Finally, they get their body and skin in shape by avoiding salty foods, drinking plenty of water, getting proper rest and exercising, which gives them an overall healthy look.
RLB: What are other great secrets or insider tips to help average women get red carpet ready makeup at home?
BG: If you don’t plan to have a lot of time to touch up your makeup, try beginning with a primer, it will adhere to makeup and give it long lasting power. Consider cream eye shadows and cheek stains that blend into the skin and won’t melt off as quickly as powders. Dust a bit of translucent powder over your face to lock makeup in place. I think it looks best when women keep their eyeshadow simple; something sheer and elegant is generally easy to apply and always looks great.
To watch Bruce talk about his "7 tips to getting Red Carpet ready", view his recent appearance on Yahoo Thread!
Like this feature? Keep up with all our beauty news, reviews and features as they happen by following us on Twitter!