Spring/Summer 2010 NY Fashion Week Report
We've just gotten the scoop on the hair creations at Thakoon's runway, one of the hottest designers right now. (Michelle Obama has been spotted in his designs and Thakoon has a cameo in The September Issue out in theaters right now!).
To achieve this “sumo wrestler meets surfer” inspired look, Thakoon Panichgul, Eugene Souleiman (pictured, above), and Eva Scrivo collaborated for a finished style that demonstrates the contrast between tight and loose elements, which the collection encapsulates. A sleek, tight-to-the-head “seventh samurai” ponytail is sculpted on the top half, while leaving out loose, textured ends in a knot. Free-flowing, beachy waves left down in back, allows the look to exude a variety of contradictory elements that don’t blend, but balance. Colored extensions add dimension and life to help form the overall shape.
The Hair Color:
Wella Professionals colorist, Eva Scrivo, directed a team of Wella stylists to create customized extensions for 35 models. Using Wella Professionals Color Touch demi-permanent hair color for exceptional dimension and shine, the extensions reflect a spectrum of shades highlighting the overall look with a subtle color contrast that naturally complements the models’ hair color. Blocks of color add depth to the look, while a finishing glaze blends and integrates the contrasting light and dark tones into a beautifully, cohesive color palette of natural shades.
To get the look at home try these steps:
1. Blowdry the hair back and away from the face.
2. Brush all the hair from ear to ear back and into a tight pony tail.
3. Apply Wella System Professional Supermousse to the pony for a sleek, satin finish.
4. Incorporate the hair from the center of the nape of the neck, in a 2 inch section up to the pony.
5. Bind the hair in the pony with 1/2 inch thick black elastic or ribbon, folding it back on itself to create a knot of hair.
6. Smooth a silicone gloss into hands and smooth over the hair that has been bound for a sleek finish.
7. Add colored extensions to the hair that is left out of the bind, to add length and fullness, as well as color depth.
8. Then spray this hair with Wella High Hair Ocean Spritz and diffuse for a beachy texture.
Products To Try For This Look: Wella System Professional
System Professional Supermousse: Extra strong hold with intense volume, while it leaves hair silky and shiny protecting against humidity Suggested retail price: $16.00 (10.2 fl. oz.)