One of my favorite designing phenoms, Christian Siriano, put on another fantastic fashion show during this week's Fall/Winter 2010 New York Fashion season.
The hair looks, created by Aveda lead stylist Antoinette Beenders, were simply devine.
Beenders created a 1960’s Parisian glamour “wave” updo using Aveda Control Force™ Hair Spray (launching in June 2010).
According to Beenders, she and Christian were inspired by
Veronica Lake and 1960’s vintage Parisian glamour. Says Beenders, "The swept-up, wavy look echoes the romantic silhouettes and movement in this season’s collection.”
As for Christian, his inspiration for the collection itself was 1960's Parisian women and the idea of getting dressed up from day into evening. It is a collection filled with effortless, soft, romantic shapes and silhouettes that compliment strong, structured jackets, coats, and cocktail dresses.
Although this look was pulled together by a top stylist - not to worry! You can adapt this look for night out on the town by first: Prepping hair by blow drying it smooth and curling hair in one-inch pieces (or using hot rollers).
Next, brush curls through, spraying with Aveda Air Control™ Hair Spray for light, workable hold. Pull hair back tightly and wind it into a twist, pinning it against the head with bobby pins. Finish the look by backcombing the front section of hair, brushing it through and twisting it back. Pin in place to create ultra-volume and a glamorous, retro effect.
What you may also not know is that Christian has made a real effort to "green" his fashion shows. He's
been experimenting with organic cotton for some of his casual day wear pieces and reducing his carbon footprint every season by producing in New York City! - RLB
For a detailed step by step to get the look from Christian Siriano's show, follow the steps below:
1. Prep hair with Aveda Air Control™ Hair Spray for light, workable hold.
2. Working from bottom to top, curl hair in one-inch pieces with a medium barrel curling iron. Loop each curled piece around your finger and pin against the head to set the curl. Allow curls to cool, and then remove clips. Gently brush hair out.
4. Gather the left side of hair and pull tightly to the back of the head. Pin in place vertically, up the center line of the head, with bobby pins. Smooth hair against the head with fingers and spray with Aveda Air Control™ Hair Spray to minimize flyaways.
5. Gather the right side of hair and pull tightly to the back of the head. Wrap hair inwards around your fingers to create a tornado-like twist. Pin in place and spray with Aveda Control Force™ Hair Spray for ultra-strong hold.
6. Remove pins from the remaining front section of hair and backcomb to create volume. Spray with Aveda Air Control™ Hair Spray. Comb hair away from the face and pin to the top of the twist, creating wave-like volume at the crown of the head. Set the look with Aveda Control Force™ Hair Spray.