Jason Wu is fast becoming one of my favorite designers and one of my favorite runways shows to see. His NYFW Fall/Winter 2011 show did not disappoint from the clothes to the sleek, elegant GOLDEN twists created by Aveda lead stylist Odile Gilbert.
Gilbert's inspiration was Wu's elegantly chic collection. She wanted to create hair that was actually like a "piece of art" Gilbert coated the ends of the hair in 24-karat gold leaf and shaped like a feather, echoing the gold accents and feathers from the collection.
Gilbert used several Aveda products to create the look:
Aveda Smooth Infusion Glossing Straightener Aveda Brilliant Spray-On Shine
Aveda Brilliant Retexturing Gel
Aveda Control Force Firm Hold Hair Spray
To adapt this runway look in real life, Gilbert says, “Create a sleek pony with Aveda Brilliant Spray-On Shine and twist into a bun at the nape of the neck, with ends fanning up the back of the head. Clip with a bright metallic barrette or hair pin to add a shot of glamour. Spray with Aveda Control Force Firm Hold Hair Spray for a controlled and elegant finish.”
To learn how Gilbert created the looks - step by step, continue reading below! - RLB
1. Apply Aveda Smooth Infusion Glossing Straightener to damp hair, from roots to ends, to smooth hair and add shine. Create a center part using a fine-tooth comb and blow hair dry straight. Use a flat-iron for super sleek length.
2. Create a ponytail at the nape of the neck and secure with an elastic. Spray Aveda Control Force Firm Hold Hair Spray generously to keep hair in place
3 . Coat the hair from roots to ends with Aveda Brilliant Retexturing Gel for a lustrous, polished look.
4. Divide the ponytail in half and wind the two sections together to create a twist. Secure the twist with an elastic two to three inches above the ends and mist with Aveda Control Force Firm Hold Hair Spray for hold.
5. Pull the ends of the hair up to the back of the head so the twist loops at the neck. Use bobby pins to secure the bottom of the twist to the base—so the ends of the hair fan upwards. Add a layer of Aveda Control Force Firm Hold Hair Spray.
6. Use a fine-tooth comb to coax the ends of the hair into a feather shape and set against the head using Aveda Control Force Firm Hold Hair Spray. Very gently apply gold leaf to only to the shaped ends with fingers and spray liberally with Aveda Control Force Firm Hold Hair Spray.
7. Complete the look with a generous layer of Aveda Brilliant Spray-On Shine for a high gloss finish.
*Images courtesy of Aveda.