When I gave birth to my son four years ago, he not only kick-started my days as a genuine adult, but he launched me into a new skin care category. After a lifetime of coasting by with blissfully normal skin -- not too parched, not too greasy, rarely a pimple, nary a wrinkle -- I was now officially dry.
1. Start with rolled oats. The quick or instant kind can’t stand up to manipulation.
2. Quickly blast oats in a food processor or blender to get oat flour that can be easily combined with other ingredients.
3. Add a couple of tablespoons of honey to 1/2 cup of oat flour. Honey, a natural antioxidant, is supremely sticky and supremely soothing. Stir in some water to thin. You can also add lemon, which brightens the skin. (Try this recipe.)
4. Use enough liquid. Your mask should be able to be spread easily around the nooks and crannies of your face.
5. Leave your mask on for 15 minutes, and then gently remove it with warm water. Pat dry and follow with your favorite moisturizer.
6. Tweak your recipe for summer. For a more cooling mask, substitute 4 tablespoons of plain yogurt for the honey. Yogurt has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant benefits. Regular topical use can help you achieve that coveted natural glow.